Four men originating from Sunderland were convicted as part of a larger gang of 14 individuals in Devon, Southwest England, for a series of drugs and sexual offenses. Described by police as a “Blight on communities”, the individuals conspired to supply cocaine, cannabis and heroin, with several of indicated on several accounts of rape.
Devon and Cornwall Police noted that the organization “exerted significant influence and control within Dawlish and Teignmouth” and “used violence and coercive tactics to maintain a criminal empire valued at £1m”.
The individuals convicted and jailed included:
- James Brooks, 41, of Dawlish- jailed for 25 years including 12 years for drugs offenses, 13 years for supporting and 13 counts of rape.
- Keiron Archbold, 22, of First Avenue, Dawlish – jailed for six years for conspiracy to supply cocaine and cannabis
- Gavin Brooks, 26, of 64 Mainsforth Terrace, Sunderland – jailed for two years for conspiracy to supply cocaine and heroin
- Marvin Grant, 33, of 26 Fir Avenue, Liverpool, jailed for five years for conspiracy to supply cannabis and possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply
- Stephen Green, 38, of Maple Wood Avenue, Southwick, Sunderland – jailed for four years for five counts of rape
- Nazrul Islam, 36, of Somerset Place, Teignmouth – jailed for 11 years for conspiracy to supply cocaine and cannabis, two counts of rape, actual bodily harm, and possession of ammunition without licence
- John Jackson, 30, of Lower Brimley Road, Teignmouth – jailed for two years and one month for conspiracy to supply cannabis and assault occasioning grievous bodily harm
- Ross Morton, 32, of West View, Roker, Sunderland – jailed for 22 years for conspiracy to supply cocaine and cannabis, and eight counts of rape
- John Rowntree, 35, of Coronation Avenue, Dawlish – jailed for nine years for conspiracy to supply cocaine, heroin and cannabis, and making threats to kill
- Martin Turner, 41, Shackleton Walk, Teignmouth – jailed for seven years for conspiracy to supply cocaine and cannabis
- James Trott, 37, of Oaklands Crescent, Sunderland, – jailed for three years and six months for one count of rape
- John White, 35, of Lower Trindle Close, Chudleigh – jailed for nine years for conspiracy to supply cocaine and cannabis